Religion has many functions for individual who believes in it and for society as a whole.
1. Religion gives one “peace of mind”.
- For example, in times of crisis or when we have a problem, by communicating with our deity or through our prayers it satisfies our spiritual and emotional needs.
2. Religion allays the fears and anxieties of an individual by a=reassuring them of the care and protection of their deity.
- It removes the fears and anxieties of an individual by giving them a comfort and consolation of their religion and by assuring them the love, care and protection of God.
3. Religion delineates what is wrong and right and prescribes a system of reward and punishment.
- People realize what is right thing to do and what is wrong, what would be the good and bad. And they believe that by doing well, they will receive a reward which is the eternal life, and by doing a sin, they will be punish.
4. Religion integrates and promotes group solidarity.
- For example, in Catholicism, they were united to celebrate some special or traditional occasions, like “Misa de gallo”, “Misa de Aguinaldo”, Santacruzan Fiestas and etc.
5. Religion performs welfare, education and recreation functions
- Religious Organizations carry out or build ip some welfare activities and social programs, and they also operate charitable institution, hospitals, orphanages, medical clinics and etc. They provide schools for the poor.
Dysfunctions of Religion
- Religion can be divisive face in society
- It may be a disintegrating factor
- It may lead to personal disorganization.